Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Last Music One (for now)

Stace,

I am SO happy you included "Falling Slowly" on our playlist. Here at home, nearly 9:00pm. Long day at work, but house is now silent as I embark on my hours of reports. So to hear Glen Hansard & Markets Irglova - heaven, pure heaven.

OK, last music post (for a while) I promise. Still preoccupied with opera, I wanted to share a conversation I had with Ella when she was 4. We were winding our way up the DVP in the beloved long gone Subaru ( so cozy & compact & intimate nestled in that space together). I was listening to Puccini's Madame Butterfly & the following conversation ensued:

Ella: Mummy, why does she sound so sad?

Me: Well honey, she's upset because she loves someone & he doesn't love her back.

Ella: Why doesn't he love her back?

Me: (not wanting to launch into the whole complex storyline of Madame Butterfly to a 4 year old). I don't know honey, why do you think he doesn't love her?

....long pause while she looks out the window deep in thought....

Ella: Maybe he doesn't like her singing.

Now, two years on I'm happy to report she's an opera lover, but it took a while.

2 comments:

  1. ah hahah hahaha! classic story, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing my off at that little story. Ella is a hoot!

    You don't need to sell me on opera. I do appreciate and love selected pieces, it's just not my go-to.

    ReplyDelete