Monday, October 26, 2009

MUSIC con'd

Oohhhhh.... I could just talk music all blog long. Great plan adding the playlist at the bottom - love being surprised by other people's music selections. I feel like I make 10,000+ decisions a day, so to just have FINE FINE music selected by someone else soothing me (or energizing me as the case may be) is a HUGE pleasure.

So, our sound interests converge on Old Motown R&B. Yes, Otis Redding is divine: how can any woman NOT love Tenderness? Remember when Ducky plays it for what's her face in Pretty in Pink? Loads of great canadian musicians, I credit jian with frequently highlighting home grown talent. Still loving U2 - caught them in an impromptu concert on top of their hotel along the Liffey while walking home from work when we were in Dublin - such a thrill! Adele: thumbs up. Ben Harper, Jack Johnson - yes and yes. Jim Cuddy - seems like a great guy. Can you imagine having a song WRITTEN for you?!! It must be incredible - depending on what they say about you I suppose. The closest I ever came was having Peter (repeatedly) dedicate this song to me when trust was difficult for me



And then our (musical) paths divide. Country is just a no go zone for me. It makes me wince involuntarily & I can't even put my finger on why. I can listen to Dixie Chicks Shut up & sing because I saw the documentary & I loved their passion & willingness to speak their mind & not back down. But otherwise, I'm a no country gal. But opera & jazz are my standbys. I sat through Madame Butterfly by myself (alone amongst 100+ other people, but I went alone) with tears streaming down my face. So powerful. And jazz is what soothes me after a crazy day. Paired with a one of our huge John Rocha glasses filled with something red (think fermented grapes more than pomegranate juice) and the tension MELTS.

So in the spirit of attempting to win you over, have a listen....





And it has NOTHING to do with maturity, or I'd still be listening to Alvin & the Chipmunks! I'll throw in one more, just because....

No comments:

Post a Comment