Friday, October 23, 2009

Under the weather


Hey Stace,

WARNING: Numerous attempts to write a new blog post have resulted in me writing writing writing then deleting deleting deleting as I realize that I've become way off topic. Not once, but NUMEROUS times. So, what you're gonna get here is a little peek into how my scattered, chaotic mind works. Go pee, grab a beverage (adult or otherwise) and settle in.

Weather. What a boring, mundane, banal topic. It's the thing people talk about when there's nothing else to talk about. Yet somehow the weather has such an impact on my days. It determines the pace of my days & dictates the activities. Can we walk to school with the wagon, or do I need the stroller with rain cover? Where are the kids' raincoats? Rubber boots? No playing at the park means excess energy & certain insanity. Do I have enough wine in the house to survive a rainy cold day or is an LCBO run in order? I don't really think there's any such thing as "bad" weather. For example, consider the blizzard...

[let me introduce you to diversion #1... the hunt for snowy pictures]. Went to my favorite time waster
Sotheby's Realty to look for a picture of a cute wee cabin in the snow dusted woods. Apparently this is not the type if thing Sotheby's sells. Think more along the lines of monster homes in Aspen. Not what I'm after. Then came across this nice scene in our iPhoto, one of the Muskoka cottages peter designed. Complete with spa & sleeping quarters for the massage therapist, chef, and other "help". Why do they call it "help"? C'mon, "help" is what friends do for each other. When you're paying these people & treat them VERY differently than your friends, why don't you just call them "servants"? Because it's too politically incorrect? Seems like such a glossy euphemism. Blah blah blah. Anyway, here's the cottage, it's really quite lovely. Although I would be just as happy in the smaller sumptuous boathouse.

Still, it didn't quite capture what I was after. So I was thinking, hmmm.... snowy scenes from movies... how about this one from Edward Scissorhands


Not so much. So what other movie has a snow scene...

s



OK... this is so not conveying what I wanted. A GOOD feeling of coziness. Was going on to think about snowy weather, or cold, rainy autumn weather as the perfect excuse to curl up inside with a good book, goblet of wine (ya, maybe if I'm sitting in the window seat of my medieval castle, boobs bursting out of my bodice, gazing across the moors. But really, isn't goblet a great word?).

Which of course leads to diversion #2. The hunt for bursting bodice pictures. Which I would not DARE to google for fear of what would come up. Great movies that these scenes, complete with castles may be found in




If James Franco is too hard on the eyes (all that HAIR), just look away and spare yourself seeing him topless. Topless, funny, we never really refer to men without shirts as topless, do we? You know, if Maxwell had been a girl (which I fully anticipated) he was going to be named Phoebe Iseult. In keeping with the tradition that all the kids have Irish middle names (Saidhbhin, Liadan, Oisin). Badly wanted one of the girls to be named Aoife (EE-fa) or Niamh (Neeve). So, I figure Eve is about as close in english as we can get to those two.

Where the hell was I going with this?! Weather. Oh ya. Under the weather. Battling a cold all week (meant I had to miss two days of CrossFit - gasp!). Cannot stand it when people write about their colds on facebook. You know the ones who use their status as a platform to whine & whimper incessantly. BORING. Yes, I did blurt something about wanting a day in bed, but if it becomes a chronic condition please snap me out of it with a long-distance slap across the face. However, on the illness topic, got a recipe for a hot toddy? Think they work? What's your cold fix? A day (or three) in bed complete with books, tissue, hot waterbottle & lemsip is not an option with the little barbarians on the brink of a mutiny. Your head spinning yet? You've suffered enough my poor cousin. Thanks for visiting the inner workings of my mind (no wonder I can't get my house looking House & Home photo shoot ready!). ~ j. xoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment